Break~

Ok, I gt this break from work cos I had an interview a SPH today... for Lim Kim San's Memorial Scholarship. It's been more than a yr since I went back there haha. Didn't manage to see my ex-colleagues though. Mr Laurence/Lawrence came to greet me and brought me into the interview rm. Gosh... Dr Low/Loh reminds me a lot of MM LKY (nt kidding lol), and another lady's totally friendly looking haha. I realised my voice began to split the min I started to talk haha. They didn' ask for my portfolio straightaway... which was a bit wierd cos it's the 1st time I came across such an interview.
All 3 of them didn't know that I gt NTU's acceptance letter already lol. They asked about my interest in Chinese la, life in China, having received so many bursaries etc. Dr Loh/Low asked if I told Glenn I'd come for this interview. I didn't la haha. Well, I finally gt to "warm up" and began blabbering quite a bit haha... and managed to bring them thru my portfolios. Honestly, I didn't think my Eng was tat gd... cos I myself sense some "nervous-ness" in myself and I tend to phrase some Eng words wrongly lol. So when Dr Low/Loh told me I was "effectively bilingual" (which is normally how interviewers would always say to ppl who graduate from Chi Studies haha), I was taken aback. Trust me, my spoken Eng at the interview wasn't enough for a "gd" haha... at least wat I think so.
Lucky that they din bombard me with diff qns at all. The other 2 malay gals tat went in after me were saying how the 3 interviewers were laughing all the way... haha they're juz friendly ba. Sharon told me the last round of interview's until 9th June... so I would noe if I get the scholarship only after tat. OMG... which means like a lot of ppl are fighting for this award... alamak macham so hard to get. *Okie... I only feel a "50-50" nw.*

Met PH at Clarke Quay and we had lunch at Hooters restaurant. The ambience was nt bad.PH and I ordered the set lunch @ $10 each, excluding GST and service charge. It consists of a glass of soft drink, choice of coffee/tea, coffee ice-cream, soup of the day and the main dish. Worth the price. I had the Pepper chicken spaghetti as main dish, while PH had fish and chips."Pepper-ish" enough... I like haha. The meat was nt bad too.
Then, we went to MICA Building while I handed in my work for the SPH-NAC Golden Point Competition. PH was actualli thinking of walking to City Hall MRT... but alas the sun was super bright, so we gave up. Tried some clothes and she really loved the hot-pink top haha... too bad PH's too skinny la doi. I tried a skirt... in emerald and silver colour. Liked the“飘逸”design feel... $15... but didn't buy in the end cos I dun want too many skirts in my closet... I prefer pants still haha. *I wear a UK/US Size 4 sia... big mah?*

We went to Takashimaya and read books on Numerology in Kino haha. Spent like 1hr+ there browsing thru the books and explaining to PH cos's its in Chi haha. Had dinner at Heeren's Pasta de Waraku. I had the curry seafood soup pasta while PH had the tomato-sauced one.Chatted about her and her friend, JM, there. Well, I realise I always assume that PH's friends are guys... whenever she say "me and my friend..." lol. Hmm... "fling" mah... I can't accept that personally haha.

Anyway, no more tuition with Pranoy cos his family's moving house to Buangkok (I heard "Bangkok" at 1st over the phone~ lol) and it's too far for me to go. Her mum's nice enough to invite me to their new house haha... yeah someday ba.
Had tuition with Jorrick. His mid yr result is bad again. I told him to talk about it with his mum. I dun want a tuition whereby the student can't improve... I mean I've somehow the responsibility to let them improve mah. Shall see how the discussion bet them go, before I decide on anything.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,

I came across your blog while researching on the LKS Memorial Scholarship. I am currently in NUS FASS and I just sent in my application for the scholarship. I got an interview slot with them this coming Friday. I have a couple of questions to ask.
1) Is the pool of competitors big?
2) In your opinion, what are the tips to scoring well in the interview? Being a recipient of this scholarship would mean a lot to me given that I am not from a financially-able family. Thus, I would like to maximize my chances.
3) Would any prior links with SPH (internships, part-time work, workshops) be of any advantage?
Thank you so much for your attention. Your reply would mean so much to me! :) And on a side note, your blog is really really nice and colourful! Keep up the good work.

I am really sorry to appear out of the blue, like a stalker :/ HAHA
Snowman said…
Hi thanks for visiting.
1) I'm not very sure about the pool of competitors though, since all students who are studying language courses in SG uni (irregardless of any year you are in) can qualify if I din rmb wrongly.
2) Imo, for any kind of interviews, be honest and likeable at the interview. Imo, you don't have to go on and on about how poor ur family backgrd is, but instead focus on what you have achieved and how hard you are working towards your future dream (i.e. being a journalist etc), and how this scholarship will help you in achieving that. Just be open and welcoming to the interviewers!
3) I used to do an internship there prior to my interview, but I don't think that affects at all, or only minimally affects your chance of getting the scholarship. Who knows? U might even get a chance to intern there aft the interview if u want to!

Don't worry. I hope my replies help. All the best to u!
Anonymous said…
I am really really grateful for your reply. I went in today and honestly, though they did (there were 2 ladies) ask me some difficult questions like why I have no CCA in University, I think i did my best according to my abilities and the stressful circumstances. Going into the room was mortifying! Basically I told them that I aspired to be a journalist (and how I used to attend workshops there), and that getting the award would mean that I can be an ambassador of SPH. Also tried to align personal achievements to SPH core values.

I really hope i get it though. And thanks so much for your input.

Anonymous said…
Hello, I have just gotten shortlisted for the LKS Memorial Scholarship interview! I know your interview was quite a while back but do you possibly remember what kind of questions were asked during the interview? Are they looking for people who are keen to pursue a career in SPH (and possibly prioritise these candidates over others)? Thank you so much!
Snowman said…
Hi there

It was a rather casual chit-chat session though I had the prior experience of being an intern journalist and showcased my portfolios in front of the panel. I have no idea if they will prioritise people who are looking at a career in journalism in SPH or not, but I did have the intention to join SPH back then after I graduate from university. However, I think they are looking at candidates with good attitude and behaviour, as well as the determination to graduate from university? Haha.

Good luck for the interview and all the best to you in your future endeavors!