Backdate: Japan Kyoto Dec 2018 Day 4


14/12/18 Fri: While Ning, Francine and Potato went outside to have a sumptuous breakfast, PY and I chose to stay in and ate the meals we bought from the Convenience store last night. She had dry Maggie mee while I ate pasta with clams and shrooms~ satisfied!
*rRandom tThought: a misunderstanding in the room at night, but I'm glad it's over the next day.* 
5 of us checked out of the Airbnb and took a bus to the UNESCO World Heritage site: Ninnaji temple, which we will experience temple stay at for a night.

We had heavy luggage to carry from the entrance to our Omura Kaikan Hall in that cold weather, and Potato was the only guy (okay Ning's like "half-a-guy" as she's so "a-sa-li" lol~), so he helped carry our stuff a few rounds to and fro, so Ning was joking that the three ladies should all find a boyfriend soon haha!
A monk greeted us at their reception window, and we were given room 102, just opposite the public bathroom! The stay for a night, which included one breakfast and the public bath, costed us 7400¥each. It was a simple and no-frill stay, with bathrobes, hot water and green tea leaves and powder available in our room. 
Staying in Ninnaji temple allowed us free entry into the Goten.

We were supposed to remove our shoes before entering. Beautiful interior and sceneries around... kind of like a backyard.
Saw some Gemstones at a souvenir shop inside, and Francine, PY and I decided to try our luck. I got a Amethyst, which is good for "mental and physical ability, and this stone also draws charm". Also bought 4 health amulets for our parents (2000¥). 
Though part of the place was under construction, the beauty is still stunning. Very peaceful too. *Oh how I love those maple trees~*
Walked to Omuro-Ninnaji station just 5 minutes away for our train ride to Arashiyama. 
There's the iconic Kimono forest decorations just outside the station. Walked around for souvenirs, before we headed to our lunch place Yoshimura nearby Togetsu-Kyo Bridge shortly after.


They have seats that look out to Togetsu-Kyo Bridge, but even though we did not get to sit there, my warm herring soba was already so good that I'd finish even the last drop of soup! Potato had tempura cold soba.
Crossed the bridge to the other side, where we visited a shop that sells musical boxes. It was cold, but the views were pretty.
*My big ginna caught a small chickie for me for 100¥ haha.* We also bought some Kyoto snacks like the Daifuku from Kisshokaryo Kyoto (4050) for our family and friends in Singapore, which I'd never regret as most of them were good. 
Came across a shop that sells a variety of dangos, and they have some winter special flavours like the sakura-flavoured ones. Potato bought the yuzu and sweet potato-flavoured ones (400¥) for us to try. After that, we went into a souvenir shop to get some tea and Kyoto tofu etc (7737¥), which we could get tax refund for.
Francine, Potato and I visited the Arashiyama Bamboo Forest in the evening. It wasn't spectacular, neither was the walk long... just lots of tall bamboo surrounding us. Lights came on after sunset. At night, we went to the Arashiyama Kimono Forest which I thought was nicer though "man-made" lol.
Randomly went into a Japanese restaurant on the second floor, and I had unagi don and cold soba set for dinner.
There is the Kyoto toufu on the bottom right hand corner. I can't recall the taste now but for those I bought home, it was with芝麻糊in them and not as soft as your usual tofu... meh-meh. However, the mochi-oden-like dessert on the top left hand corner above was delicious!
Before we took the train, Francine did wanted to try the feet onsen just beside the station, but the rest of us didn't even want to take off our shoes lol.
The main entrance to Ninnaji temple was closed at 5pm, so we had to go in via intercom at the Higashi-mon Gate gate near to our Hall. It was pretty much dark, except for that motion-sensored light there... pretty "hi-tech" for a temple no? *They have a curfew at 11pm, so no entry nor exit is allowed after that time.*
The public bath was separated by gender, and it's opened from 4.30pm to 11pm. Ning and PY went in first, while Francine and I went together later. I'm impressed as their toilet seats were warmed, and they had multi-function toilet bowls! At the bath, one has to strip naked, take a shower before entering the bath. I thought it'd be awkward at first, but I guess with my poor eyesight and being all "excited" about this public bath experience, I had no time to think about that! During the time Francine and I were inside, only one other auntie was there, and she left before us. Good experience, and I weighed myself using their bathroom scale. *Whoa the fluctuation of my body fats, visceral fats etc taken at night and the next morning scares me neh.*

And here's the Farmily doing stupid “10连拍” to end the night early lol, as PY, Francine, Potato and I wanted to go for the morning prayer session the next day.

Comments