Backdate: Japan Osaka Dec 2018 Day 6


16/12/18 Sun: I had yummy instant pork soba for breakfast in our Airbnb the morning before we set off to Mount Rokko. We took the train to Rokkomichi station, and from there Kobe City Bus 16 towards Rokko Cable bus stop. *The Rokkosan tourist pass costed us S$37.95 for 3 people, inclusive of entry, bus and tram rides.*
There was the beautiful Rokko "cable car" (they termed it this way in their brochure~) which would take us 5 minutes up into the mountain.
We took in the awesome scenery of Osaka from the Tenran observatory deck, just outside Tenran café, where we would have our lunch.
We don't have much choice in this western café, so I ordered bacon and shrooms pasta. I don't eat bacon, so I told them not to have that, but seems like they did not increase the amount of shrooms either tsk tsk. *About the only meal I had in Japan that I thought was meh-meh...* Potato and Francine had beef curry.
After lunch, Potato and I wondered around for a bit while waiting for the Rokko Sanjo bus up to where Rokko Snow Park was at for my first-ever skiing experience in life! Francine was injured, so she went around sight-seeing by herself.
Rokko Snow Park is a much more family-friendly venue as compared to other ski parks Japan has. *We saw many young and "pro" kids learning how to ski here.* The entry fee, gears and winter wear rental amounted to 6750¥ per person, which was much cheaper compared to other professional skiing grounds I believe. *I'm glad we opted for the ski wears because I doubt my own down jacket can allow me to withstand the "pain" my butt "suffered" from after falling down and sitting on the snow for like 10 long minutes...* It felt a bit awkward walking in the ski shoes, but we had to walk to get our skis outside. 
Potato had skied one time previously when he was young, and I'm your ultimate "virgin skier"! There was only one main slope there, and at first, it was hard to even go up the sides to the flat ground on the man-made main slope because I just didn't know how to as my skis kept "sliding back down" when I tried to walk up. In the end, I did it by speeding up a little faster to run up. 
It was not that cold, but soon it began drizzling. Potato was the more adventurous one obviously, so he skied down the slope first. Honestly, the slope seemed gentle, but I just couldn't get my legs to "cooperate" and take the first step to go down that slope. *It felt like seeing that first high drop when you do roller-coaster rides...* And it doesn't help to see Potato fall down halfway lol, though he got up quite fast and completed his first ski down Rokko Snow Park. I know I've always wanted to try skiing, but it was  always going to be a little intimidating when no one is there to guide you. Plus, I fear more of banging into somebody or falling off the sides.
It took forever but I finally convinced myself to go down the slope at one of the instant when no one was that near me. Yes I know this seemed like a gentle slope compared to what I saw in YouTube videos of those pro-skiiers showing off at, but man I felt like I'm accelerating way fast! So naturally when you panic, you start to lower your body (yes lowering CG coincidentally~) and then your knees also start closing in onto each other and... PIAK! I was flat down on my back only 1/3 through the slope in seconds! My legs were in that awkward "outward-V" position. Luckily, no one came knocking into me and that I was more to the right side of the slope, therefore not blocking that many people I reckon.
Potato saw me as he was carrying his skis and waiting to walk back upwards for another try. *他站在那里给了我约10分钟的“精神上的鼓励”吧~* There and then, in the drizzle, I thought it won't be that hard to close my legs up and ski down from there. Yet, I had such difficulty getting up and worse, the skis felt so heavy and it was hard to lift my legs at all! *天啊,当下真的觉得无助啊~* Anyway, I'd manage to get up and continue to ski, but from then on, it's on and off, falling down as and when aiyoh~ By the time I was near the end of the slope, I was in fact sweating like mad inside having to use strength to get up all the while lol. 
In the end, one Japanese instructor even came over to me and told me to go over to a small slope (for beginners) at the right side of the bottom of the main slope. *Gosh I can imagine how big a danger I am to others and myself actually, so I'd rather go and practise first.* 
By that time, Potato already finished his second ski down the main slope and came over to accompany me to practice. Honestly, I was a bit tired from getting up that I felt like just lying down and nua~ But, Potato wanted me to try from the "mini slope" there, so I went for three tries I think... and the scariest happened! It was all good the first time, but when Potato tried to video me the next two attempts, it somehow all showed the "wrong and bad sides"! Second time, I swerved right and ramped into a pretty big heap of snow... yes my body did slide up, but luckily I held the back of my head up so it did not hit the ground. Weird enough, I wasn't that scared nor was there any pain. Third time? I ski right into a little boy about 3-4 years old in front of me and knocked him down omg~ The first thing I remembered to do was to console him, for fear he would cry out loud LOL. Guess what? 小弟弟挺酷的哦。。。都没什么表情leh. Again, lucky then I was near the end of my ski and the speed was already decreasing but as I did not really know how to control my directions, I hit him. Anyway, I realised that my body was slightly tilted to the right everytime I ski from the videos, so maybe it'd affect my balance and control. *I will definitely take up proper ski lessons or have a professional guide the next time I do it.*
Had to leave by 4.30pm. We waited in a heated shelter for the Sanjo Bus to take us to the Rokko-Shidare Observatory as it was getting colder, while the station master helped passengers look out for the bus arriving at stipulated times. 

300¥ per person for the entrance fees to Rokko-Shidare Observatory. It is shaped like a giant tree with its trunks covered with branches and leaves. The frame, floors and walls are all made using Yoshino Cypress from Nara Prefecture, producing a refreshing forest aroma. We walked the inside while waiting for Francine. There's the Ocean View Point, Wind Hole, Wind Room, Sun Room, Ice Room etc. In the naturally-ventilated Wind Room, there is an "ice-melting basin" in the centre where molten water from the ice room flows in.





We went nearby to buy some souvenirs, and waited for the bus back down for dinner as the restaurant suggested was closed that night. *I spent 4346¥ there.*

Back at Rokkomichi station, most shops were closed as it was a Sunday. We found a small eatery in the shopping mall for dinner. The waitress that served us was a Vietnamese who spoke fluent Japanese. Potato had the "limited Winter set meal" that had fried oysters wow~ *Good Japanese food yay!*
Then, we walked in a mart beside where Potato and Francine found Fugu meat that they wanted to try. I was skeptical, and so I did not try. They both thought it tasteless anyway. *I might have been over-worried, though yes there is the freedom to try risky things you want to, yet some stuff are not worth for just "the thrill".*
We tried this cake that Potato bought from Mount Rokko back in the room, but it was a bit too sweet imo. 

Comments