Korat Thai & Marmalade Pantry bday meet-up with Jess & LL + new glasses from Eye Degree + MIL’s bday dinner @ Eatzi Gourmet Steakhouse & Bistro + PotaTOHs’ 5th wedding anniversary dinner @ Ju95 + 《此时此刻》

4/11/23 Sat: Came home to mushroom claypot rice with butter and onion made by Potato~ it went very well with salmon and the broccoli and carrot dishes!

5/11/23 Sun: Met Jess and LL for lunch at Korat Thai Café where we shared the tom yam mama ($32) and the chilli kang kong. The latter was great. I thought their tom yam was not bad but a bit too creamy for me.

Then, we spent the afternoon at Marmalade Pantry at Orchard Ion. I had their berries drink and we shared the strawberry mascarpone crème tart and blueberry and raspberry cake. The tart was not bad but we couldn’t finish the cake which wasn’t that nice. It was a good day of catch-up with both ladies and a lovely belated birthday treat from them!

Potato added lemon into soba sauce to make our udon dip a bit more like ponzu and it went so well with the carbs! He made teriyaki chicken too which was yummy!

6/11/23 Mon: Pilates reformer workout with Chisa this morning was quite tiring but a good one because I pushed myself even further!

Stir-fried broccoli and mushroom with oyster sauce, made carrot, tomato and tofu soup and scrambled egg to go with rice for our meatless dinner… I wanted my scrambled egg to be creamier though.

PotaTOHs also made a new batch of ajitama together after dinner.

7/11/23 Tues: Watched the Group 1 Melbourne Cup (3200m) at noon and though Without A Fight won, I was more impressed with how Soulcombe missed the start by about three lengths and yet Moreira managed to find pockets in the straight to squeeze through before coming up short in second… very brave.

Hooked our leg in the air in aerial yoga class tonight and it was quite fun.

8/11/23 Weds: Tried doing a half handstand against the wall in Wheel Yoga class tonight and I really felt my upper back and arms ouch~ It was all in the name of good fun though!

9/11/23 Thurs: Back home for a yummy Ippudo duck ramen with enoki shroom for dinner! The ramen was a gift from Mina and Potato adjusted the concentration of the stock to reduce the saltiness to my liking hehe~ Our ajitama was quite successful too, albeit the marinated flavour was not as strong as we’d want it to be.

10/11/23 Fri: Did Qigong after a long time and I stopped after明目功because I just was not in the mood for the whole exercise lol. Had my eyes checked after two years because I’d been very bothered by eye fatigue and muscle strain all this while. I thought my myopia or astigmatism could have worsen, but wouldn’t know without going for an eye check.

The optician used the machine to do a rough estimate and he said my left eye went up by 75 degrees. We did the manual check, which involved him teaching me how to identify my “master eye” (left eye), and it came out as so. My right eye’s myopia remained at 550 degrees and astigmatism at 100 degrees while my left eye’s myopia increased by 75 degrees to 725 degrees (omg!), albeit the astigmatism of 75 degrees remained the same. *My previous pair of glasses were made but with reduced myopia prescriptions of 525 and 625 degrees… think the optician’s reasoning behind then was to reduce the intensity.* Anyway, it’s $188 (before 20% discount off frame) and $325 for index 1.6 Zeiss BlueGuard lens… a total of $470 ouch.

Had the usual chicken rice for dinner at Gombak Central but gosh it costed $4.80~ so expensive now. *Happy with a free peach green tea with white pearls from iTea though hehe~*

11/11/23 Sat: Lim’s Kosciuszko did impress me with his brave win in the Group 1 Singapore Gold Cup (2000m) but it looked like the top impost over that trip could take a toll on him after the race. A big question mark if he should go for the Hong Kong International Races on December 10…

Potato cooked Japanese curry udon with minced meat, carrot and potato for dinner~ yummy.  

12/11/23 Sun: Met my in-laws at Eatzi Gourmet Steakhouse and Bistro at Safra Yishun for MIL’s early birthday dinner. The baked salmon with mashed potato and salad this time I had was better than their fish and chips I ate during the last visit. We also bought two slices of cakes from Chateraise, their persimmon tart and their mille crepe to share for her birthday… okay la.

13/11/23 Mon: Deepavali PH today and Chisa’s class had six students… the most number of students I’d ever seen in a long time. *Tough workout this morning neh!*

PotaTOHs went to Salikin’s place to visit Kuro, a young grey tabby cat that we’ll “cat sit” in end November for 10 days for them. He’s an adopted stray, albeit believed to have a previous owner that abandoned him… he’s quite active and lies belly down like a dog with the hind legs wide open instead lol.

He doesn’t get along with their three other cats that well, so he stays alone in one of their common rooms. They then came over to our place to advised things we should keep or move during Kuro’s temporary stay. *I hope he adjusts quickly to our place and not scratch or pee on our things!*

Pan-fried six prawn dumplings (more like shrimp), which was a success, cooked tofu and carrot seaweed soup and also bok choy with carrot slices for dinner.

15/11/23 Weds: Joined a new morning workout called “Metabolic plan” and I wondered what it was until I saw coach Gerald Tay again… so it’s the usual cardio resistance workouts la haha.

Have been wanting to use the手抓饼I bought at Groupbuy to cook dinner, so I added in pork sausage, tomato, sunny side-up and spring onion at my first experience with pan-frying of the prata… first piece was torn a bit but second one came out nicer, aesthetically. Also cooked pork and cabbage dumpling with bok choy and tofu because I want my greens! *A bit worried I did not cook those pork sausages long enough but luckily, we were fine after dinner.*

16/11/23 Thurs: Followed some Yoga videos on Netflix and did easy stretching this morning. Potato was having a bit of headache and coughing a bit, so he didn’t cook dinner in the end and I bought cai fan from Gombak Central home for dinner.

17/11/23 Fri: Did my last session of香柏木massage with头部拨筋and breast massage. Sherlyn said my right side出痧very fast, but I ached more and the muscles felt tighter on the left side. Shared a lot with her during the session and I did feel a bit better in that few moments.

PotaTOHs celebrated our fifth wedding anniversary with an omakase dinner at Ju95 modern fusion restaurant. Sat indoor and we opted to try their 8-course omakase ($235 for two). The first starter was the taramasalata cracker which I loved a lot! There were mixed fish roes, chives and buckwheat… the mixture of chives, savouriness and mix of flavours from the roes were awesome.

Ian mentioned the head chef from Malaysia spent three days to prepare the Parfait Ju, which had chicken liver, fermented mushroom and koji sable cookies~ lovely mushroom taste and ice-cream texture but it got too much for me towards the end, probably because of the liver. PotaTOH’s favourite was the cold angel hair with scallop tartare, truffle, ikura and caviar~ definite-must try over there. *They treated us to sake too!*

Ian was there with us while waiting for his ex-colleague for dinner and then, a blackout happened! The waiters told us to move outside before they served the Hay smoked Hamachi, that’s with grilled padron pepper and leek, sweet and sour berry sauce. I liked sashimi, but not really the combination.

The assistant manager came telling us our meals were on the house and PotaTOH’s were so happy for a moment keke and Ian was already recommending us what to eat nearby, but then the chef managed to borrow the kitchen from his neighbouring restaurant to continue preparing the rest of the dishes… sure thing!

Next up, we had the grilled spanish octopus in spicy peanut butter and with pickled radish. The sauce reminded me of a bit of the sweet sauce for chee cheong fun but quite a nice combination. Our mains was the grilled baby squid donabe. It had seaweed schmaltz, mushroom and ikura. The claypot rice and umami-ness was quite shiok, albeit the dish started to taste a bit too salty towards the end.

For the two desserts, we first had an ice-cream sandwich. Sour cream, sake cherry, rose. I loved this, ironically, for someone who’s not so into desserts. The oatmeal biscuits went so well with the ice-cream and the plating’s interesting. Lastly, we had the miso panna cotta of blueberry compote, vanilla ice-cream and Japanese whisky to end the meal. Intriguing. *Expensive but worthy dinner with the best company of my life hehe! Wood anniversary but no need for present since many things in our home is made of wood already lol.*

18/11/23 Sat: Enjoyed Potato’s cold udon with lemonade soba sauce, miso soup and the king oyster mushroom, bok choy and chicken meat in white miso, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar sesame oil and honey sauce. *Ouch I think the filling on my left upper pre-molar has to be re-done because food are stuck in the space there and my gums are now quite painful.*

19/11/23 Sun: FIL sliced abalone with Chinese spinach and cooked braised meat for dinner tonight. Then, he took out the Chivas Royal Salute 32 Years he bought at Changi for us to taste… “smooth” but I don’t drink much haha.

20/11/23 Mon: Had Pilates reformer in the morning and I think my Japanese classmate has improved a lot! She didn’t look like a mum of three to me too. Then, I heat up the braised meat MIL passed me the night before and stir-fried Chinese spinach to go along with it for lunch. 

PotaTOHs had Greendot’s Hokkaido salmoniee burger with curry mayo sauce and Haikara udon with golden calamari set ($30.9) for dinner and we both agreed the latter was nicer because the umami from the soup was shiok. Their calamari’s texture tasted close to the real one as well. The “salmon”, however, was plain mushy.

21/11/23 Tues: *Mum tested positive for COVID-19 this morning. She has coughs and body aches. Hope she recovers asap.* Came home to seafood fried rice Potato cooked yay~ 

Before that also joined in Piloxing class on Zoom, taught by Yenny. Thought the moves were a bit messy and not clear-cut (i.e boxing, Pilates, dancing one set). Mat work was not easy though.

Finished watching the 10-episode drama《此时此刻》, made up of 10 short love stories in Taiwan during the COVID-19 pandemic.
10个爱情故事,不同主题,很多我都蛮喜欢的,尤其<站一个晚上>、<说好的轻井泽>、<你心里的鬼>、<完美的躲避球比赛>、<你心里的鬼>和<真实故事改编>。最后一集纯粹是因为我喜欢曾敬骅这个新生代演员,虽然演技还是有些嫩,但贾静雯跟他的搭配还不错。
好像读了一本轻小说,讲述了同性恋、婚外情、“一面之缘”的恋爱等。。。在这个疫情笼罩的时期,究竟是“面面相对”,还是搞得“遮遮掩掩”呢?当时是让人雾里看花?还是反倒更看清现实呢?

Rating: 4/5

Comments