“14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible” + Mum’s birthday celebration + farewell lunch for Mike @ Myung-Ga II + “Love is Blind: Japan edition” + Bro tested positive + Wheel-throwing with Jess & YJ @ Weichuan studio

16/2/22 Weds: Potato grilled saba and cooked cabbage with carrot for dinner. A simple meal.

17/2/22 Thurs: Wrote a story on Amirul as he makes his comeback at Kranji this Saturday.

18/2/22 Fri: PotaTOHs had dinner at Ramen Taisho in the evening. He ate the Shoyu garlic ramen ($10.80) while I tried the spicy garlic ramen ($10.80). *Ordered crab croquette ($5.80) too because I had a sudden craving for it.* We both thought the texture of the noodle and pork slices were not bad, the soup was fine. *Probably only a go-to when I have cravings for ramen once in a while.*

Watched “14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible” on Netflix.

Nepali mountaineer Nirmal Purja, an ex-Gurkha and UK Special Force soldier, and his team of Nepali climbers climbed all 14 peaks above 8000 metres in the world in less than seven months. I cannot imagine how hard it is to conquer even one of these, but he made it look like a piece of cake sometimes.

I always find such films inspirational. The conviction these mountaineers have, and how much they believe in themselves. Respect.

Rating: 4/5

19/2/22 Sat: Potato cooked marinated chicken bites, celery, mushroom, carrot and celery for me in the morning for my bento lunch on race day! I added in the pickled cucumber too~ satisfied tummy hehe.

He cooked dendrobrium soup(石斛汤)for dinner~ tasted mildly sweet, very likeable.

20/2/22 Sun: Had dinner at my in-laws. Luke was still very insecure when the dad and mum went away oops. MIL was trying hard to pacify him over dinner haha.

21/2/22 Mon: Did some tough moves in Chisa’s reformer class. *Doing my best to work my weak arms and back muscles!*

It’s meatless Monday, so PotaTOHs ate veggies all day. Potato helped me with the prep, and I cooked the mushroom in spicy gravy, and lentil with celery.

22/2/22 Tues: Did an interview with Clements in the morning. He has a huge team in the two highlight races on Saturday!

PotaTOHs made our own dinner tonight because we postponed dinner at my parents' to Wednesday instead. We had mashed potatoes and eggs, with spinach and salmon... all of our favourites in a meal hehe!

Happy that I have made big improvements in my lizard pose during Aerial Yoga class. We did the “Z” hang move which I was already familiar with.

23/2/22 Weds: Bro and I bought four tarts from Wunderfolks for Mum’s early birthday celebration tonight. I chose the lychee tart, maple pecan tart, mixed fruits tart and dark chocolate tart ($40 with delivery). Ate yummy stir-fried sea cucumber and cooked fish maw cabbage soup that mum cooked before we tucked into her birthday tarts. It’s the first time I have their maple pecan and lychee tart. The former was a little sweet, but the latter was alright. *Mum still missed her “traditional” watermelon birthday cake from last year lol.*

24/2/22 Thurs: LL, Mike and I went to Myung-Ga II for his farewell lunch. It’s the first time Mike ate there because there was always a long queue whenever he went. 

I had the spicy seafood noodle ($16), LL had the cold noodle ($16) and Mike went with his spicy octopus rice ($18). We shared their kimchi pancake too… as good as the last time when Ian, Potato and I had it. *Was doing my appraisal almost the whole afternoon and I really did my best already. If the Club shows no appreciation, I will be disappointed.*

Had yummy rotini pasta with minced meat, capsicum, mushroom and onion in tomato sauce cooked by Potato!

Finished watching “Love is Blind: Japan edition”.

After watching, one would think true love is hard to come by. Appreciate the one that you think is great!

Rating: 3/5

25/2/22 Fri: Bro had fever chills, body ache and headache in the middle of the night on Thursday after exercise, and he tested himself positive for Covid-19 on Friday morning. *There’s a faint line on the “T” section.* He will self-isolate himself for the next few days, and I hope dad and mum will be alright. Meanwhile, I shall monitor myself and do ART the next few days before I go out as a precautionary measure.

Ate grilled saba, celery and mushroom with cold soba for dinner.

26/2/22 Sat: I am feeling fine, but I still took an ART this morning to be sure. Potato cooked yummy pork collar bento with his marinated pork collar and Japanese cucumber, cherry tomato, chuka wakame and Ajitama! Very satisfying race day meal for me~

To my surprise, Potato decided to have seafood as meat for dinner! He stir-fried prawn, scallop with celery, and also cooked a pot of old cucumber soup with carrot, red date, onion and egg in pork broth. I was very happy with both meals today~ kudos to my husband! <3

27/2/22 Sun: After a negative ART test, I headed to CSC to meet Jess and YJ for wheel-throwing at Wei Chuan pottery studio. We bought the $55 package for 2.5 hours of pottery session each from Fave app. 

Teacher WC first demonstrated the basic techniques on the wheels on how to make a bowl and then a tall cup, before we were allowed to practise. We were each given 600g of clay, slapped on a wooden top placed just above the metal spinning surface.

Indeed, it was all about patience but I honestly don’t recall wheel throwing to be this hard the first time I did it at Potters’ Guilt. We all re-started countless times because the shapes went off somehow, and he had to give us new clay moulds because the initial ones were to soft to continue working on. I only manage to make one bowl with his help mostly, in almost two hours.

Maybe it was the way he taught and talked, and the fact that he cannot be attending to us all the time because he had five students to look after. Maybe I was too rigid and did not get the techniques right this time, and my wheel was moving too slow at the start, but he did not point that out. It was frustrating during that two and a half hours, given the impatient person I am lol, and the number of hiccups I had. Or maybe, we “get what we pay for”. *An extra $10 was paid after class for firing of every work that will be collected in six weeks’ time.* It was a bad experience compared to my first time wheeling it, even for a moment “dashed my hopes” of going for long term classes one day, seeing how unskilful I am when it comes to working with clay.

I am over the disappointment after a sleep that night, and coming to think of it, there is a takeaway from the experience. Teacher WC said something along the line of “whatever that comes out of the mould, it’s shaped fully by your hands,” that I do agree to a huge extent. I tend to give myself too much pressure at the start. I believe I will learn in depth when I sign up for courses next time and be much happier and prouder of my own works!

Three of us headed over to the coffee shop at Blk 177 to try the Jiak Song mee hoon kueh. YJ and Jess ate the Nam Sing hokkien mee, chicken rice and chee cheong fun, but they thought only the chee cheong fun was worth eating. Potato queued 45 minutes because I wanted to eat the $5.50 dry mhk. The kueh was chewy with wok hei taste, but with only one meatball and shrimpball, plus the queue, it was definitely not worth the price. *I will still have the cheapest $4 mhk in future.*

28/2/22: There was only me and one other guy in Chisa’s reformer class this morning and she got us to use Bosu for the first time. It was my first time using Bosu too… man the balancing moves on it were tough. *My legs shaked uncontrollably at some points while squatting up and down lol.* Very tiring class that made me paused for a few times, and I could see the guy sweating buckets literally on his reformer haha.

I saw a recipe on下厨房app for our meatless Mondays on tofu and omelette, but I decided to add in diced mushroom in it as well. The texture was good, but the bottom part of the egg got a bit charred, and the marinate was way salty.

1/3/22 Tues: I planned to buy 100g of minced pork meat for my individual portion of lunch this afternoon, but the staff at Sheng Shiong packed 160g for me ($2), and I thought “why not?” Of course, my tomato-based linguine pasta turned out super huge~ with the minced meat covering half of the plate lol. I wondered if I could finish it, turned out I had underestimated my stomach haha! *Added salt and black pepper to the minced meat as I sitr-fried them… taste turned out well!*

*Shopping on Shopee and Lazada gives me headache almost everytime. Too many comparison work to do tsk.* PotaTOHs' dinner was the usual cold soba with smoked duck breast meat and bok choy.

2/3/22 Weds: Headed down to UOB bank first thing in the morning to open a CPFIS account with them because my online application failed. Spent one and a half hours there, bought lunch and was already on the bus home when the lady called me and said she forgot to let me sign the tax residency form! Now, I must make a trip down tomorrow just to sign that haiz.

Potato unscrewed the toilet bowl cover to check for rust, only to find out that one side of the rubber fitting was already damaged and the bolt has fallen into the inside of the bowl. We only lived here for slightly more than a year, so I emailed HDB to see if they can send us replacement parts.

Potato whipped up tom yam chicken with enoki and a pot of naba cabbage and carrot in pork bone soup for dinner! Perfect for a rainy weather!

3/3/22 Thurs: *How could I have forgotten to browse via Shopback for 3/3 sales on Shopee and Lazada arghhh! There goes my 10% cashback this time~*

PotaTOHs vacuumed and mopped the house today. I also got the chance to join the virtual HWE Oxigeno class again this evening. The instructor focused a lot on back bends for the new month of training. I have very stiff back all along so I was never a fan of back bends, albeit I know all the more I have to practise to overcome this problem. Still sweated and enjoyed this class, so I hope to be able to join in more in the coming Thursday evenings!

4/3/22 Fri: Esther, Eunice and I had a meeting to further discuss on the plans after Mike leaves. *I dread moving back to my old office now.* I am relieved to see a few options available on the table, but at the same time am a bit worried about how things will pan out or be executed eventually. 

Rushed home just in time for the Piloxing workout class. It's been a few years since I last did it and the moves felt easier for me now haha. Nonetheless, the teacher did not go too hard on us either. Good sweat-out session and I kind of miss Piloxing after all. 

After exercise, I was treated to stir-fried napa cabbage, Ajitama egg and chicken hot pot from my hubby! We bought the mini hot pot from NTUC to try and it came with all the vacuumed-packed dry vegetables, but no meat included, so he bought three drumsticks and added carrot into the soup. Quite value-for-money I reckon, but I felt thirsty after some time... probably quite a bit of MSG in it. 

Comments