Backdate: New Zealand Wanaka Dec 2023 Day 4

14/12/23 Thurs: Oh my god, Mount Iron was nothing compared to Roys peak (1,578m) for sure…

Had chicken cup noodles as heavy breakfast before we started our climb at 9.30am. Online said “six hours” return trip for Roys Peak Track but I believe that’s for very fit people. There’s another route called Spotts Creek Track spanning 23km (11hour) but I’m not even thinking about it after experiencing the short one lol. *Entry fee of NZD 2 at the starting point but I think it’s more of voluntary giving? Since no one’s there to check.*

It was a sharp incline right from the start and almost 90% of the way up… only few flatter slopes. Saw many sheep and the stench from their shit along the way was no joke haha. The carpark seemed to be in sight forever and I thought I could reach the peak in three hours!

The views were awesome but seeing how those sheeps rest under bushes as shelters makes me want one too! The conditions were very harsh in the sense there were no trees for shelters along the way and the merciless sun was roasting us all the time. *I’m glad I brought the detachable shades from Decathlon.*

In exchange of the views, we faced very unforgiving slopes almost every part of the way up. Worst part? Coming down the same way when the feet, the soles, the toes and the calves were already sore lol. There were people coming down and going up now and then, some even carried babies with them! *We saw some that came way before sunrise and we thought that’s a brilliant idea on hindsight because the sun drained a lot out of us, especially me.*

I kept drinking water because the constant thirst was there as we hiked up. There were short cuts but really, when you feel your calves burning, you’d gladly skip those lol. But then, there were also times we had no choice but to take them. *saw these annoying Chinese girlfriend and her boyfriend while going up… she’s very “princess-y” so we pitied her boyfriend haha*

Many fellow hikers brought trekking poles, which helped I guess. I realised my fingers were swollen from hiking up probably because I had them by the side most of the time. It was the first time I observed this happening to me, but luckily, they returned to normal 30 minutes or so after we ended the hike. Apparently, it’s common for hikers to experience this because lots of blood pool in their hands when we leave our arms hanging as we hike, so the way to reduce it was to lift the hands over the head more, make fists, use compression gloves or grip hiking poles to move the arms more. One other common issue I read was it could be symptoms of Hyponatremia, where too much water diluted the sodium level in the body to an unsafe level, but it has other symptoms that were way serious like nausea and vomiting and confusion.

The view of Lake Wanaka was great, albeit not as awesome as we hiked to the top of Le Morne Brabant. Then again, Roys peak felt so far away! It was even more demoralising than climbing Hallasan la! I kept seeing rows and rows of climbers going up but the hike seemed never ending…

About 1pm, I decided to call it a day after about 75% into the hike. We only had about 1.5L of water between us and coupled with that heat, my tired legs and heavy period, so I didn’t want to push on. PotaTOHs ate our sandwiches we bought yesterday at one corner before making the descend at about 1.30pm.

Going down was only slightly easier because my feet were achy by then, but the windy slopes just don’t seem to end lol. *There were also irritating house flies along the way…*

We were back at the bottom by 3.45pm and I wanted to use the toilet initially because I’d been wanting to use it since the start. *I tried to tahan la~ lesson learnt! Don’t underestimate any hikes!* Unfortunately, the door lock was just to complicated to use omg!

Took us a total of 5 hours and 45 minutes. Well, my physical condition gave out but mentally, I’m good. Very thankful for Potato who always encouraged me along the way. He helped me to carry my backpack halfway up… as usual keke. *His fitness is way better than mine and could have made it to the top without me!* It was a good experience for us and till next time, maybe!

Went back to our Airbnb to rest and shower at 4pm. We also bought this vodka soda (NZD5) at a liquor store… tasted bitter and sour.

Potato suggested Shinaburo, a Korean restaurant, for dinner at 6.30pm. We both ate bibimbap but mine’s shrimp and his was fried salmon (NZD 50.5). One of their banchan, sesame carrot, was good.

Headed to see That Wanaka Tree and we saw that Chinese couple again haha. Visited Lake Wanaka before sunset at 9.30pm. Saw other trees in Wanaka that were pretty too, and of course my handsome hubby keke~

Returned to our Airbnb at 8pm. He was sunburnt from the hike, but my Uniqlo UV parka worked quite well so I’m fine (or maybe just a bit more tanned overall) except for exposed areas.

Comments