Hosting farmily & sec sch friends @ STC + Digital Photography with Smartphones course + PotaTOHs’ bday lunch @ Badam & dinner with Ian, James & Mina @ Jumbo Seafood + hearing check-up review + “Risque Business: Japan” & “Risque Business: Taiwan” + Dad’s 69th bday dinner + “Videography Techniques for Social Media Platforms” + “How to Relax”

30/9/23 Sat: Hosted Potato, Ian, Fran, Ning and PY at STC this afternoon. *Shelley reserved a table with very good views for us and helped get free parking for Ian!* They had some fun bets in between, lunch and I brought the ladies down to the parade ring and Grandstand area with Matthew, who only had one ride at the meeting.

After the race meeting ended, Potato treated Ian, PY and me to dinner at Sushiro at Lot One because he scored Silver for his IPPT that morning! Then, the two came over to ours for some mooncakes at night.

1/10/23 Sun: Attended TRX class in the morning and my triceps were aching after the class lol. FIL whipped up some yummy homecooked dishes for dinner and I thought his麻油鸡was really good! MIL also bought some tarts from WunderFolks to celebrate PotaTOHs’ birthdays haha. *The lychee one tasted the best somehow. Their matcha one got too sweet nowadays.*

2/10/23 Mon: Pilates reformer with Chisa was a good session as usual but my triceps felt like they were “breaking” after that lol. 

Came home to napa cabbage and carrot soup and some stir-fried celery with mushroom and carrot prepared by Potato for our meatless dinner on Monday nights~

3/10/23 Tues: Tried a flow with two simple drops in aerial yoga class tonight~ quite fun.

4/10/23 Weds: Attended the first lesson of Digital photography with Smartphones with trainer Desmond Wong at the CPF Building at JE. I took the time to explore the different functions of my iPhone camera and Desmond also touched on ISO, aperture and shutter speed, Rule of Thirds and the basis of taking good photos like framing, lining, reflections etc.

Managed to go for Yin Yoga and Sound Bath, as well as Wheel Yoga tonight. Did tripod head stand and I thought it was easier than the usual headstand for me. Also managed to lift of my leg up for the first time while in the post! *Whoa really felt quite “energetic” after the headstand sia~ a bit difficult falling asleep at night lol.*

5/10/23 Thurs: Potato whipped up sausage, button mushroom and celery with spiral pasta in tomato sauce for our dinner~ tasted so good! He almost forgot to bring out the side of iceberg lettuce he prepared though haha.

6/10/23 Fri: Did负压按摩on the back and EQ said my liver area wasn’t that good. Potato stir-fried broccoli and button mushroom using fats from duck skin and also cooked the duck meat mum gave us last week. 

7/10/23 Sat: Hosted YB, BY, YL, Iris and her husband at the Owners’ Lounge this afternoon. Glad they enjoyed lunch though they did not win any of their bets haha. Came home to Oyako don cooked by Potato~ yummy!

8/10/23 Sun: PotaTOHs celebrated our 35th birthdays together over lunch at Badam~ We ordered their badam set ($176 for two, no GST charge) which consisted of 10 side dishes, raw seafood, halibut, flounder and salmon slices and which ended with the spicy fish soup. I personally enjoyed the texture of the sea snail and octopus slices, as well as the penis fish haha… the halibut belly was quite chewy and nice too. Potato enjoyed the spicy fish soup the most (better it if was less spicy for him) and their kimchi. It was a nice experience but we thought we still preferred the usual Korean food like bibimbap, ramyeon etc haha.

Bought our hiking sunglasses at Decathlon at City Square mall before heading over to Ian’s. Mina came home not long after and the four of us went to Jewel Changi to look at the famous “water vortex” before James also joined in for our dinner at Jumbo Seafood.

Ended up ordering one chilli crab (800g), six mantou ($4.80), one black pepper crab (800g) - $88, one fried red Tilapia (800g) with Nonya sauce - $48, stir-fried sambal kangkong ($16), herbal drunken live prawn ($28), mocha pork rib ($24), Chrysanthenum tea ($7.50) and scallop wrapped in yam ring ($22)~ pretty satisfying meal! *Thanks for the treat and the drive home, Ian!*

9/10/23 Mon: Went to NTFGH after a year for my pure tone audiometry and tympanometry tests. *Had to do ear syringing on the spot because I didn’t know I had to clear my ear wax before the test! Oh and man it was giddy because of the water pressure.* Doctor said my results were similar to what I had before last year, and since the ringing in my left ear did not bother me much nowadays, she advised I could go back for another check-up two years later. *Collected my LKY commemorative coins at Bukit Batok POSB and passed one to Mina in the afternoon.*

Cooked hot somen with bok choy, onion, carrot, egg and mushroom for dinner. The somen soaked up quite a bit of the soup and it was a bit too salty, and this brand of bok choy was a bit bitter too.

10/10/23 Tues: Tiring resistance cardio class this morning. Went for blood test at Bukit Batok Polyclinic and it was done in less than five minutes from the minute I walked inside wow. *Had chicken pho ($5.80) at the coffee shop nearby for lunch and the lady was quite generous with the amount of meat in there.*

*Weather was so humid these few days and I could feel my energy literally being zapped. Sweated a lot in Aerial Yoga class which was unusual.* Achieved my final pose in Aerial Yoga class tonight with the help of some of my classmates hehe.

11/10/23 Weds: It was the second and final lesson of Digital photography with Smartphones today and we downloaded a few other apps like MagicEraser, SNOW, PhotoLayers and Blur app to work with different photo effects. Had a simple test at the end of the two-day course to ensure our “competencies”. *I reckoned 40% of the time was spent having breaks… wow.*  

Really liked “banana” stretch in Yin Yoga and Sound Bath class and I almost fell asleep during the Sound Bath… probably tired. I guess the fear in me is real because I just cannot bring myself to go up in the wheel-assisted headstand. *Should buy a wheel at home and start practising under Potato’s “supervision” haha.*

13/10/23 Fri: Was quite satisfied with the first two-third of the day today. Detailed the first few days of our New Zealand trip in December further before I went to cook pork belly and iceberg lettuce with mushroom and spaghetti in wafu style! Changed a few things in the receipt, took my time to prepare the dishes and PotaTOH’s dinner turned out great~ loved it. *The night was slightly spoilt by the fact that Natasha forgot about tuition… bad discipline.*

PotaTOHs finished watching “Risque Business: Japan” some time ago and now we’re also done with the second season… “Risque Business: Taiwan”.

We liked how it was educational and informative about sex-related industries/cultures in Japan and Taiwan and they were quite an eye-opening experience.

Ratings: 3.75/5

14/10/23 Sat: PotaTOHs and Ian had hotpot for dinner~ Potato did the prep work and cooked napa cabbage soup to go with the Haidilao mushroom soup base~ tasted so good.

16/10/23 Mon: Stir-fried tomato with egg and lady fingers with enoki shroom to go with cold soba for dinner. Also microwaved the crab and tofu gimbap I bought to try but we found it meh.

17/10/23 Tues: *Had sore throat since waking up on Saturday morning but it got better by this morning after taking some Chinese medicine and drinking liang teh. I thought the “heatiness” had to do with my bottom right molar at the back growing out further since a few weeks ago.*

Saw the doctor at Bukit Batok Polyclinic and he said though after taking 100mg of iron pills a day and my iron level in the blood went up to the acceptable range (13.1umol/L), the increase in the ferritin was still low at 12ug/L. He said they wanted it to be at 100ug/L! *He also mentioned the ingested iron probably was used to replenish those in the blood, hence not enough went into the ferritin, the protein that stores iron.* Therefore, I now have to take double dose of the iron pills a day and do a blood test again three months later.

Ordered BBQ venison meat, sambal kangkong, sweet and sour chilli fried tofu and prawn paste chicken ($66) for dad’s 69th birthday dinner. I thought the tofu was not bad but the chicken was too salty. The venison meat was tender, though.

Had to hold ourselves upside down in the straps tonight in Aerial Yoga class and while I had a bit of difficulty adjusting and deciding where to put my legs, I still did it. *Yip’s Halloween décor inside the studio was eerie la lol.*

18/10/23 Weds: First lesson of “Videography Techniques for Social Media Platforms” today with Desmond Wong. Some of the shots taught reminded me of the days I took the video module in Ngee Ann Polytechnic. We also downloaded the “CapCut” app and learned to make simple edits with photos and videos.

Used a muscle release roller in Yin Yoga and Sound Bath class and did some training to work towards handstand in Wheel Yoga class tonight. *Still cannot do headstand and I’m already on to handstand!? Lol.*

19/10/23 Thurs: Was on half-day off and I think for the first time, or had it been a long time since I felt “effortless” meditating this morning. I was seated. I focused on breathing IN and OUT, and although thoughts would cross me now and then, but after a short moment in that 10 minutes, I was aware of not just my breath getting slower, calmer and deeper, the body was still yet I maintained that with no effort at all. This is not easy and it’s a small achievement imo~ pleasant start to the day!

Finished reading “How to Relax” by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Easy read, but it took me quite some time to finish this short read of 120 pages or so. Why? I was so busy and distracted, but I also made the effort with pockets of time in between (or setting aside some of it daily) for relaxation/meditation.

The book said “Effortless is the key to success. Don’t fight. Don’t try hard. Just allow yourself to sit. If you struggle, you won’t be able to sit for very long. When you sit and watch tv, you don’t make any effort, that’s why you can sit for a long time.”

Looking back, I really loved the moments I just sit and breathe. No tv, no music, no nothing. Be in the present. That really taught and helped me a lot in different ways.

Rating: 3/5

Potato cooked lala in sake and stir fried shimeiji shroom with ladys fingers for dinner~ so nice! *But my forgetful big cat forgot to add the enoki shroom last minute lol~*

20/10/23 Fri: Easy boxing cardio session this morning. Went for my八爪, breast massage and head拨筋with Sherlyn. Whole session lasted close to 2.5 hours because she had a previous customer who was late. *She thought I might not have good sleep quality because it seemed my liver and detox system isn’t as good.* 

Followed a recipe on Instagram and cooked dinner: enoki and shimeiji shroom in pork belly wrap with egg, onion and iceberg lettuce… not too bad and quite a big portion I thought!

Comments