Ethan’s 2nd birthday party + WZ’s 34th bday lunch @ I’m Kim Korean BBQ & Shabu Shabu & Paris Baguette + “Don’t Worry: 48 Lessons on Achieving Calm” & “Life After Death with Tyler Henry” + virtual Hatha Vinyasa lesson + Bro’s 31st bday zichar dinner

8/9/22 Thurs: Potato’s friends, Joanne and Scott who stays nearby, visited our place at night and he cooked Oyako don with salad and miso soup for dinner! They played “Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes” on the Oculus Quest 2 for a while too.

9/9/22 Fri: Did Qigong in the morning. Saw news of Queen Elizabeth II’s passing and though I hesitated at first, I decided to write a piece on her and with inputs from Steven and Richard who won the QEII Cup in 2006 with King And King. It’s never easy putting together a factually correct-story and complementing it with photos. This piece had to go through approval before posting. *I was a bit offended with the “#didyouknow” comment at first, but later decided that it’s against my principle to be angry over people not worth my time.* Reminder to self: I should really chill, there’s no point in working that hard because the higher-ups don’t understand. It’s a thankless job after all.

Was half-hearted at Piloxing due to work but am comforted by Potato’s homecooked meal! He helped vacuum our place, bought ingredients and cooked old cucumber, carrot, red date and wolfberry in pork broth soup, pork collar and oyster mushroom in bulgogi sauce and carrot and snow peas!

11/9/22 Sun: PotaTOHs went over to YB’s to attend her son’s 2nd birthday celebration. Helped the busy mum with the food and set-ups before her families and friends turned up in the afternoon. WX and Jere came with their two daughters too. *Carried Zianne who is four and weighs 18kgs now wow lol.* Caught up with Ben for a bit as well. Pretty sure Ethan had a blast at his bday party with so many kids around!

12/9/22 Mon: Met Pat and WZ for lunch at I’m Kim Korean BBQ & Shabu Shabu at AMK Hub to celebrate WZ’s 34th bday in advance. I ate buffet at I’m Kim once, but that was many years ago at their branch their SOTA, but this time round, there’s only meat and no seafood, no assorted sushi either… so I’d say the overall quality has dropped and I’m not impressed. *Am not a buffet person to begin with.*

We headed over to the newly-opened Paris Baguette and had earl grey white chocolate cake and blueberry yoghurt tarts. They were not bad. WZ had craving for coffee, so she ordered the mocha latte to go long with her cakes haha. We talked mostly over family and kids since she’s pregnant with her second daughter now. *Short catch-up but there’s my birthday in October for another session hehe!*

I was pretty full to eat another full meal for dinner, so only had a bit of the potato, salmon, avocado and onion salad that Potato made for dinner.

13/9/22 Tues: We "swam" in the air during aerial yoga class haha. Quite an easy pose but it's rather fun too.

Finished reading the book I borrowed from my brother, “Don’t Worry: 48 Lessons on Achieving Calm” by Shunmyo Masuno.

Light read has always been my favourite, especially in times of stress. I feel so happy when I can just lie on the sofa with Zen teachings that “enlighten” the human being in me. 人非圣贤; many thoughts and actions of mine could be immature, so wise words from this Zen Buddhist temple head priest cum Zen garden designer and professor of environmental design are needed from time to time to remind myself of what’s best for myself and the people around me.

His forewords were: Pare away the things you don’t need. Live an infinitely simple life free from unnecessary anxiety of worry, without being swayed by other people’s values.

It’s no easy feat trying to emulate that, but I do support the minimalistic way of life.

Hopefully, I’d be able to have my own “Zen garden” someday and that will be my meditation ground and comfort zone~

Rating: 4/5

Finished watching “Life After Death with Tyler Henry” on Netflix.

I am impressed by world-renowned clairvoyant Tyler Henry’s ability to connect with those “on the other side” because of that natural sensitivity I reckon. According to reports, he did not even know who he was going to read on the show and the unravelling of his own family mystery was unplanned as well. The minute he is on his way to do the readings, he gets “impressions” and when he starts doodling or holding on to the objects of those passed, they could come through and he would deduce and make out things in the end. Ultimately, he acts as the “messenger” between the living and those departed and most of the time, the clients get some form of closure after the readings. Very nice to see that. Henry even helps in mysterious police cases.

I believe in the other world, but to know that our love ones are not really gone is comforting.

Rating: 4.75/5

14/9/22 Weds: Cooked my own meatless dinner at night with刀削面, king oyster mushroom, carrot, onion, kelp, quinoa powder in soba soup and ajitama! Satisfying meal. Potato came home late, he did not have much meatless options outside so I cooked him ramen in hot soba soup with carrot, mushroom, onion and quinoa powder too~ plus one ajitama because he forgot to eat it the last time haha!

15/9/22 Thurs: PotaTOHs had bibimbap ($7) for lunch together at Yew Tee Kopitiam before he went for a music recording at De La Selle School for their 70th anniversary. I prepared the ingredients while he stir-fried the enoki shroom wrapped in smoked bacon with some black pepper in the bacon’s own oil, and also mushroom with bok choy for a simple dinner.

16/9/22 Fri: Did Qigong in the morning, though sometimes I do find the instructor a bit long-winded haha. Enjoyed Potato’s grilled sutchi fillet with Chinese wine, butter, salt, black pepper and lemon! *There’s no bitter aftertaste this time, which we believe was due to the Italian herbs he added during previous times.* It was yummy! *Looked through some recipes I kept… should try them one by one hehe!*

19/9/22 Mon: I doubt I would ever try the Hatha Vinyasa virtual class if my Pilates reformer class was not cancelled this morning. Basically, I sweated and tried very hard to do the “flow” and some of the poses I thought I could try to do half the time, and the other half? I sat down to observe and take photos because I was amazed by how good the teacher and some students were! *was laughing at my own “inflexibility” as compared to them lol. 我的硬骨头啊~*

I never did a proper yoga class from basic, though I do aerial yoga and have tried hatha yoga, restorative yoga, yin yoga and hot yoga before. So, I thought many of the poses in the class were definitely not for beginners like me, who hasn’t gone through a series of beginner’s flow class before. *Maybe they could try to rate their classes according to difficulty levels to help with participants who join classes virtually.*

The Healthy 365 app’s summary of the class was “yoga poses that links through movements, synchronises with breath and builds muscle strength, flexibility, breath aware and endurance that has a greater effect on the cardiovascular system”. Little did I know I was in for an eye-opener haha. The more I watched, the more I thought if I could do all those poses, then no exercises should be too difficult for me anymore lol. Yoga intrigues me. All forms of yoga. Would love to practise strength yoga on a regular basis should time permits next time!

For meatless dinner tonight, Potato fried some corn fritter with mushroom, red onion, chilli and spring onion, and he made the sour dip using sour cream as the base, and adding mustard, mayonnaise, chilli flakes and lemon juice… the sourness helps with the oiliness, so they went very well together! We had watercress soup with red date and wolfberry in chicken stock to go along with it too.

Had some issues with ant colonies in the kitchen under the sink and Potato was quite annoyed with seeing them often along our kitchen cabinets. We thought it could be the flowering plants outside my service yard that’s attracting them by looking at their trail, so we bought ant traps and hopefully that resolves the problem soon. *I always thought it’s a “common sight” since I see it so often at my parents’ when I lived there, until Potato told me such problem don’t really exist at his parents’.*

20/9/22 Tues: I ordered zi char dishes from Ken’s Kitchen for my brother’s 31st birthday dinner at home. We had his favourite lemonade chicken, sambal fish slices, bitter gourd soup, spinach with bailing mushroom and self-made tofu. I liked their sambal fish slices, lemonade chicken, spinach and bitter gourd soup.

Did simple flow at aerial yoga class tonight and Diana took videos for us haha.

22/9/22 Thurs: Had友记鸭面for lunch with Cherry at Yew Tee~ their kway chup looked good too. *I’m going to take things as they come at work. If people are in no hurry, why should I?*

Came home to yummy vongole aglio olio spaghetti Potato made for us for dinner <3!

Comments