Jess’s 33rd bday lunch @ Bonding Kitchen + Gwen come over + “Single’s Inferno” + Kayaking Mangrove Exploration tour with family & lunch @ 신만복 + Ian moves out + Bungie Workout trial

6/1/22 Thurs: Potato cooked watercress soup with carrot, red date, onion, wolfberry and pork rib for the first time because we found watercress in the new Sheng Shiong outlet near us. The soup was very sweet!

7/1/22 Fri: PotaTOHs saw white snapper at Fairprice at promotional price, so we thought to buy and go with the cold soba for dinner tonight. Potato baked the white snapper with salt, black pepper, Italian herbs and lemon. He also stir-fried the spinach, black fungus and carrot in which I prepared the ingredients beforehand. Satisfying meal for us!

9/1/22 Sun: Met Jess for her 33rd birthday lunch. I treated her to Peranakan food at Bonding Kitchen at Orchard Gateway. We shared their kueh pie tee, babi pong teh, nyonya chap chye, sotong masam hitam and pong tauhu. *I ordered their itek tim at  first too, but they forgot to serve it, so we cancelled the order.*

I have never craved for Peranakan food, and never thought Jess would suggest one, but so we went, and no regrets really. Both of us enjoyed their sotong masak hitam a lot. It’s wok fried squid with squid ink, shrimps paste and concentrated tamarind juice… a nice balance of sweet and sour taste. Their kueh pie tee with hand-cut julienne turnips braised with prawns stock, mushroom, pork belly, topped with prawn, fried pork lard, quail egg and chili cuka at two each was just the right amount for us. However, the turnips itself was quite sweet.

I liked the nyonya chap chye with braised cabbage, mushroom, black fungus, dried lily buds, beancurd skin, pork belly with prawns broth and soybean paste. Stewed pork belly with fermented soy bean was a tad too soft actually, and as I’m not a fan of pork belly, it was only alright for me. Their pong tauhu soup which consist of one meatball made from handchopped pork meat, shrimps and tofu served with prawn, chicken and pork broth with bamboo shoots and fermented soybean paste was okay.   

We had a good chat and headed over to Kinokuniya as Jess wanted to buy a book for her Taiwanese colleague. I then made my way to my in-laws for dinner. *An estimated 110ml of menstrual fluid lost on my second day of period this time… the overall could be less that the last cycle, but it’s evident that I have to check on the cup every two hours or so on the second day just in case.*

10/1/22 Mon: Went for my bi-annual dental check this morning. The hygienist did the scaling, polishing and examination for me. She also sprayed some powder that helped to remove some stubborn teeth stains. *One visit to the dentist costed me $136.90 omg~ their scaling and polishing cost increased $5 to $80 after half a year. But to be fair, the cost previously stayed at $70 for three years or so.*

I decided to go with kung pao lentil rice for our meatless dinner tonight with a recipe I saw online, but because we did not use the dried chilli but our usual red chilli instead, the sauce was not spicy at all. The preparation work took a while because Potato was busy teaching kids and I was in the kitchen by myself… a bit lazy and unmotivated sometimes while cooking alone hehe. The dish turned out alright, but I probably need a bit more gravy next time!

11/1/22 Tues: Had a two-hour meeting with Mike, my new department VP and HOD. Long introductory one and a bit of idea what they have in store for us. However, what matters most to me is the upcoming arrangements which we are clueless on. *I need to find out more to weigh if the future here is for me?*  

Did simple moves tonight in aerial class though Diana was worried about my left arm. My “mermaid” pose did not turn out as pretty though. *Arghh just two weeks of no exercising and I felt my core weakened already!* 

12/1/22 Weds: Gwen brought a bottle of Baileys when she came over to PotaTOHs’ for dinner. Potato cooked bacon cabbage mille feuille naba, omelette with enoki mushrooms and onions, as well as air-fried karaage. The trio had a good chit-chat over beer and red wine at night!

13/1/22 Thurs: Had two meetings with Esther to discuss after my plans and work moving forth. *The only constant is change.* Had Domino’s pizza for dinner with Potato and Ian!

Finished watching “Single’s Inferno” on Netflix.

Spent nine days on a deserted island together and you find love? Way too fast. Might not last long. I should watch less of such “brainless” shows in future.

Rating: 2/5

15/1/22 Sat: Potato whipped up three dishes for dinner tonight! There was the cabbage soup with carrot, pork rib and red date, chicken bites in gochujang sauce with Chinese wine, sesame oil and pepper, as well as bok choy with carrot and enoki mushroom. I loved them all hehe~

16/1/22 Sun: Woke up at 7am and three of us left to fetch Melissa to go over to Sembawang Park to meet James, PY, Ning and Wandi for our kayaking mangrove exploration in the North of Singapore!

It’s been a few years since I last kayaked in Hanoi, but I feel safe with Potato looking after me on our kayak hehe. We set off at about 930am with two instructors and two other couples, sailing into the open waters. The current was in our favour while on the way over to the mangrove, so we did not have to paddle that hard.

It was a nice and breezy day. The tides were pretty high on the morning we kayaked, so one of the instructors explained that with that and some falling branches deep inside the mangrove, we could not go in. It was only a small area that we could kayak at, but we still had fun with the Farmily. *Saw some eagles, mudskippers and jellyfish in the waters!*

Coming back was totally different because the currents were against us now, and while Ian, James, PY and Melissa were still relaxing at the back, PotaTOHS were way front and followed the instructor as much as we could lol. *He told us to stay away from the shore for fear of implication from the fishing lines.* Potato told me to take a break many times while he paddle because I am not very familiar with the physics nor angle to take sometimes, and also because my right arm is stronger, the boat tends to end up steering towards the left lol. Both of us had to rest at different intervals because we felt our arms after three hours of kayaking. We were the first to get back at 1230pm, Ning and Wandi followed later, before James, Ian, PY and Melissa finally came ashore too.

There were no proper shower facilities there, so we got a quick-rinse and changed up to head over to 신만복Korean BBQ restaurant at Bukit Timah for late lunch at about 2pm. The four guys had free flow meat buffet while the ladies ordered ala carte. I did not enjoy their spicy cold noodle at all because it was too chewy. *Most of them turned into “lobsters” either on their arms or legs because we had open-top kayaks lol. I was lucky I choose to wear long leggings and James lent some of us his spare rash guard, so I only had the area near both my ankles tanned.*

Melissa, Ian and PotaTOHs drove back to ours and rested for the rest of the day. We had fish porridge from Bukit Timah hawker centre at night and it was good.

17/1/22 Mon: PotaTOHs tried Asian lettuce wrap for dinner. There was brown lentil, onion, red and yellow capsicum, carrot, garlic, ginger, celery, potato, walnut in hoisin sauce, soy sauce, Tabasco, salt, sushi vinegar and sesame oil mix, eaten wrapped with butterhead lettuce. We cooked one cup of lentil and with potatoes in there, it’s a bit too much for two people. We also added our own marinated Japanese cucumber as a side, and that went well with the main.

18/1/22 Tues: Enjoyed curry chicken, fish and大菜汤at mum’s before attending aerial yoga at night. There were four new students in class, so we only did a simple flow. Diana also taught us one move to open up the trapezius muscle, effective for those with the tendency to hunch their back… my back got a bit sore after repeating the move for ten times.

19/1/22 Weds: Tried the pork boat noodle ($7.90) at the newly-opened Noodle Café Express but it was so-so. The new round of Nirvana Fitness class with Audrey in January comprised of totally new moves, in which some were quite tiring.

PotaTOHs had soya chicken rice with bok choy for dinner! The marinate did not infuse into the thigh meat throughout, so there’s room for improvement taste-wise. Our marinated Japanese cucumber, however, enhanced the overall taste. *Coinhako… here we come!*

21/1/22 Fri: Was a bit sick of eating out somehow, so I decided to cook cold soba, smoked duck breast meat and celery with enoki shrooms for PotaTOHS during dinner. Simple practice but alright!

22/1/22 Sat: Ian moves out officially today but he still has a number of things that he will bring over to his new place in the days to come. It has been a good half a year since he stayed with us in July last year, and thanks to him, we have got free car rides and good food many times hehe~ we’ll miss having him around!

Enjoyed a yummy dinner cooked by Potato hehe! Ate udon with the usual teriyaki salmon on butterhead lettuce and king oyster mushroom with xiao bai cai in oyster sauce.

23/1/22 Sun: Ian came over and drove us to buy lunch at Cosy Corner! It’s a pity they don’t sell popiah on Sundays, so we took-away the laksa without prawns ($6), mee siam ($6) and their not-to-be-missed kueh pie tee ($5 per set of 6).

I decided to try Waa Cow’s chirashi don for dinner. Potato ate their wagyu beef don. Costed us $37.11 via Grabfood order after a $10 discount. Not cheap but as a delivery, the amount of sashimi was decent and the taste was not bad.

24/1/22 Mon: *Wow, I just realised I can be very absorbed into it when reading about investments omg.* Queued at OCBC bank to get some new notes for CNY this year and it took me an hour even though I made reservation online beforehand. *I disliked the attitude of the counter staff. Why cannot people talk less when they work?*

PotaTOHs attended a bungie workout trial class at Elin Dance Studio in the evening, and we were taught by the boss Elin herself! There were three other students in class beside us, and we learnt the basic moves of a bungie workout. *Potato was given a 100kg cord at first and he could not even sit on it since he weighs only 58kg lol. Elin then changed it to a 85kg one for him. I was on 65kg since the start of class.* It’s about trusting the bungie cord and yourself once again. Did not sweat much but it was quite fun. It was very nice of them to record down our progress as we did a flow, something that makes me want to join the class long-term. *We have two more free trials each and I might want to do one more session again.*

Ate QQ rice for dinner. Its been a few years since I last had it because the outlet is at Jurong Point, and I’d have it on my way to school or tuition last time. Potato bought it after school ended this morning and my wrap of red rice and purple rice has kidney bean, wakame, mushroom, sweet corn and broccoli ($4.60) in it.

26/1/22 Weds: Made a quick trip down town to meet Carol because she wants to pass me a packet of bah kwa for CNY, and ended up giving me another box of peaches too. *Endowus and Funding Societies here I come~ Though the investment market hasn’t been too good, but I’m putting money in there for the long term. Hope it rides out soon.*

After sweating out during Nirvana Fitness class, I was treated to yummy home-cooked japchae for dinner from Potato!

Besides the usual egg, chicken meat, spinach, mushroom, beansprout, carrot, onion, garlic, kimchi and glass noodle, he added in the leftover king oyster mushroom and bok choy too. Tossed with sesame oil, light soy sauce, sugar and sesame seed, the portion of our japchae easily feeds three lol. *Potato still misses Ian's presence in the house~* 

Comments