Covid19-induced 1-mth break + 이태원 클라쓰 + 라이어 게임 + Handsome Tigers + 공항가는 길

25/3/20 Wed: Didn't expect kickboxing class tonight to be the "last" before the suspension of sports lesson was activated after that. *Though I had a hunch Kelly must have "knew" it so she pushed us much harder this time!*
31/3/20 Tues: Also, the "last" lesson of aerial yoga before suspension, though Evolution Fitness already put in social distancing measures in place and limit the number of participants in each class. We began with "shoelace" pose seated on the floor, and gradually warmed up till before going up on the hammocks to do some poses for the night. I enjoyed the leg stretches as always!

5/4/20 Sun: After tuition with Adi and Eshan, I headed over to in-laws place for dinner. FIL whipped up yummy dishes as always. 
As MM and Andre were driving me home, we touched on the topic of religion. It was quite a liberating discussion imo. They are devoted Christians, while I am a Buddhist (that's what's written on my birth certificate, though I'd say it should be more of Taoist). From as soon as I know the world, I'd see my parents praying in front of Guan Yin's altar at home, prepare fruits for rituals to pray to god on certain day of the month, not take beef, go to temples, see Tangki go into a state of trance and believers asking questions related to their health, wealth, kids' education etc. I'm never one to question (my mum would possibly "shoot me down" even if I did~ the older generation yeah...). Given my personality, as long as it is teaching me to do good and be kind, then no matter what religion I am "born into", I follow it, and I tend to believe it more down the road. 对我来说,宗教是精神寄托,是在我感到不安彷徨的时候的一种精神上的安慰。我记得在浙江城市学院上“东方思想史”课的时候,印象最深刻的是进一步了解到了“佛”和“神”的差异所在。基督教里相信有个神主宰着人们,人们生来就有罪,人们等待着被救赎。佛教里的佛陀释迦摩尼却说众生平等,没有谁在谁之上;人皆能成佛,很难的事情,这要靠人们自己去感悟、体悟、觉悟和醒悟等。就这一点上,比较两者,我大概更倾向“我也能做到”的看法。
我也看过“因果报应”的书籍,纵使我无法知道是否真的存在这样的循环,但我相信那些都是用来鞭策人类的。宗教里教人要向善的那些道理我照单全收。我很固执,这辈子应该很难换宗教信仰了哈哈。
但这不代表我不能接受其他的宗教信仰。宗教之间都得互相尊重并承认彼此的存在。我觉得宗教是你内心最相信的东西,甚至可以是支持你的力量,但你也可以是无神论者,因为相信自己也可以是很强大的力量。我不会传教,我相信缘分,这一方面我是被动的。我觉得要不要相信真的取决于个人。每个宗教都可以解释他们的信仰,但自始至终有谁能真的印证这些“圣人”所说的理念呢?没有。我说白一点,就是相信的人一厢情愿。但没事啊,只要这个理念支撑你度过日子那就有意义了。我认为宗教可以是相信、甚至是迷信(但不能到对自己不利的地步,这个要自己拿捏),就是应该赋予你正面的力量,能让你成为更好的人那就对了。*虽然我不时也会因为自己“不是很虔诚”这点而困扰、内疚啦~*
未来如果我有孩子,宗教信仰方面作为父母的我们或多或少都会影响到他,但只要他明白“向上、向善”的道理,他大可选择叫他内心最舒服的方向前去。
For the first time in history, I, as well as the world, felt pretty much threatened by the COVID-19 situation. *I don't even remember everyone being that worried during SARS in 2003, though schools did shut down for two weeks.* Singapore has come to a point where we have to implement further stringent measures besides social distancing. As of now, workplaces of non-essential services have to shut down for a month from April 7 till May 4, and that includes STC too. We are all encouraged to stay at home. Besides the worry over our income and revenues, the stress on the economy, I reckon the concern now is that since no vaccines are available yet, this Coronavirus is therefore a big threat to our lives.
Seeing that I would be possibly free from work 95% of the time in this one month, I reckon just watching dramas to get by won't work for me. Hence, I came up with a personal "timetable" and a list of things to do everyday (Hopefully, I will be able to complete them as per stated, but hey, it's all "flexible"!). *Based my indoor workouts on the programs on Fitbit Coach, which are pretty good I feel.* It might look mundane to some, but consistency is what I am emphasising on there. Also, I'm hoping to take few steps back and take a look at things I probably have always been wanting to do and yet hasn't put in the effort and time to do so now that I'm pretty much stuck at home. *Blogging on my Kyrgyzstan trip is a great time for me to reminisce the days spent there.* I love travelling, I love nature, I love exercising with my friends, but right now, I shall channel my energy elsewhere, and focus on what I can do while at home, because I know that when we get rid of the virus, I will be able to do all that I love once again! The world has shrunk as a global village, but now we're distancing again, but I believe Mother Nature has a purpose for all things that are happening. Time for us to reflect on our life and cherish the time with family. The world has got to work together to get through this crisis, and I'm confident the future in store will be even brighter and better!

Time for my drama reviews! First up, "이태원 클라쓰"~


The rave review made me watched it. It tells the story of ex-convict박새로이 (박서준) whose life has been turned upside down after he gets expelled from school for punching a bully and his father is killed in an accident. Following his father's steps, he opens his bar-restaurant DanBam (Sweet Night) in Itaewon and, along with his manager조이서 (김다미), a powerful and intelligent influencer that's a sociopath, a transgender, a biracial man and a former cellmate to strive towards success together. *박새로이and조이서's love life有点牵强leh. 更像大哥哥和小妹妹哦。*
Though the big picture is on a big food business magnate trying to take down the humiliated guy who builds his restaurant from scratch, the drama touched on more sensitive society issues in Korea like transgender and prejudice against foreigners. However so, I still prefer "Sky Castle" as the topic of education and competition is even more tightly-knitted there. 

Rating: 3.5/5

Next up, "라이어 게임". A drama which I'd already watched the Japanese original version a few years ago.
Though I find이상윤good-looking in the show, I still prefer the original Japanese series. Yes no doubt the games in the Korean version was interesting as well (a few different ones), and they are even more "hi-tech" since the drama was filmed later, but I thought the story was more complicated as they try to bring in the fact that there's a linkage between the professor하우진 (이상윤), 남다정 (김소은) and the game host강도영 (신성록). 
I'm a simple audience. I just want to watch the games and how the characters outwit each other in it haha.

Rating: 3.25/5

Yes, I'm currently on "이상윤bias" so I'm watching shows with him on it lol~ but "Handsome Tigers" was also exciting and fun to watch! Coach서장훈, an ex-Korean basketball player gathered 10 artistes (강인수was chosen in the middle via an audition) to play against amateur BB leagues in Korea in the show. Ace player문수인shined since the beginning and though I may not know how to play BB nor the rules, I can still see the fluidity in his moves. 차은우is the handsome young face in the show, but it's good to see that he has also the skills beside the looks, especially his three-pointers. Captain이상윤did his part by scoring at the right time (even a buzzer beater!) when confidence in his camp wavered at some points in the games, and those warm encouragement he gave to his teammates off the court was nice too! Though they only won one match out of so many in the 12 episodes of show, it's still a feat considering they only got together and underwent intense training during the filming period. 
Plus, watching this kind of sports variety show really made me want to move neh... I miss my table tennis, squash and badminton games la haha.

Rating: 4.25/5

Last drama I finished watching recently: 공항가는 길!
이상윤ah~ 你干嘛都在演出轨的角色呢?lol~ *His character cheated on the wife in VIP too lol!* Anyway, 최수아 (김하늘) is an experienced AirAsia stewardess who is married to 박진석 (신성록), a pilot who dominates every aspect of her and their daughter박효은's (김환희) life. Despite the protest, he sent Hyo-eun to an international school in Malaysia where she meets서은우 (박서연), 서도우's (이상윤) daughter. Tragedy strikes when서은우dies while in an attempt to come back home and despite their denial, 최수아and서도우's lives get intertwined together. 
At first, I thought서도우's amount of sadness he showed was not enough upon the news of his daughter's death, and the beginning where최수아 and he got to know each other was a bit sudden. 
Then again, not that the drama is encouraging adultery here, since there were 
already cracks in each of their families... I see the lack of communication and understanding, which these two later got to form a lot with each other, and maybe that's why they fell in love.
先前各自有错,但后来各自也都没错。爱,真的不分先后多少。说到来,只是选择而已。

Rating: 3.25/5

Comments